Wednesday 17 August 2011

Welcome to my body Risperidone...

Evening Bloggers!

So today I had my appt with my CAMHS worker this morning, again as usual feeling a little anxious but it went well- not as good as some sessions I've had with her but it wasn't terrible, so that's the main thing I guess! Basically for the first 15 minutes with her I was pretty much raving about how good Harry Potter was last week, she was so stoked that I managed to get myself to the cinema to see the movie- as am I still! The main thing I really wanted to discuss in the appt today was about the meds, the infamous Risperidone that my physiatrist loves to talk about- which is a very hard thing for me to discuss!

Risperidone is an atypical anti-psychotic drug which is licensed to treat schizophrenia and Bi-polar Disorder, none of those I suffer with (thankfully) but it's also used to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which is one of the illnesses that I do suffer with- so that's purely why my physiatrist prescribed it to me!

Me && my shrink came up with a plan of when and how to take the Risperidone, at a point in the day when I feel relaxed and calm while distracting myself in watching Criminal Minds! We also came up with a "reward system" so once I start the meds, I get myself something nice... E.g- the 5th season of Criminal Minds which I haven't seen much of!

So today after lunch I tried out the Risperidone, anyone that knows me will know that what I have done is a major thing for me! I was originally given the Risperidone in March, but due to all my anxiety around taking meds it's taken me around 6 months to actually take it! So anyways, I tired it... Woah incredibly bitter tasting- im talking instant-tongue-drying-power here! Basically im following the rules that my best girlie taught me, in building up the dosage so the first couple days you do the finger dip then you build it up to the desired dosage! I actually cannot believe I did it...


So from now on these are my little-keep-me-sane-babies sat together forever! I just hope that the Risperidone will help me more than the Prozac has, i've been on Prozac for a year now && there hasn't been much difference at all, so let's hope the Risperidone has a better effect over me! I just hope that im not on Risperidone for years because the effect it has on people isn't pretty.... I've got my appt with my physiatrist on Friday!
Wish me luck!

                                                                               Emma x

1 comment: